The purpose of the Xavier athletic program is to contribute to the wholistic growth of the student-athlete and to contribute to the mission and reputation of Xavier High School – that is, to develop the total person in a Catholic environment. The ingredients of this philosophy include:
- Concern with the academic awareness and performance of the student-athlete.
- Opportunity for participation, enjoyment and competition.
- High expectations of behavior for administrators, coaches, staff and student-athletes.
- Entertainment for the Xavier and the Cedar Rapids metro communities.
Goals of the Athletic Program
- To provide the opportunity for athletic participation to as many Xavier students as possible.
- To treat each student with dignity and respect.
- To provide players with the instruction, motivation and training necessary to develop a high level of skill.
- To give every participating student the opportunity to have a satisfying and fulfilling experience in athletics.
- To teach and express values for life:
- The ability to maintain self-control under stressful situations.
- The need for disciplined, hard work to do one’s best.
- The importance of physical development and good health.
- The need for teamwork and the ability to work together.
- The building of personal relationships while working together as a team.
- The enjoyment of recreational activities.