The following information is a handy reference guide as we get ready to start a new school year at Xavier! This information also will be mailed and emailed to XHS parents.
E-Registration – Opens Friday, July 28th – Deadline to complete – Wednesday, August 9th at 10pm
Beginning at 9am on, Friday, July 28th, go to PowerSchool on the Parent Portal www.XavierSaints.org/ParentPortal using your parent login and password to register your student(s) and complete iPad registration. This two-part registration process must be completed before students will be permitted to pick-up their iPads for the fall semester. A reminder email with instructions will be emailed to parents by Friday, July 28th. These instructions can also be found here.
Student Schedules – Monday, July 31st
Beginning at 9am on Monday, July 31st, students and parents may log on to PowerSchool to view student schedules. Schedules are not final until July 31st. Please DO NOT call or email the guidance office with change requests. Students can make schedule changes in the guidance office with a counselor beginning:
Class Schedule Changes (Guidance Office):
Tuesday, August 1 – 7:30-9:00am
Wednesday, August 2 – 7:30-9:00am
Thursday, August 3 – 1:00-3:00pm
Please understand that students will not be able to attend the first day of classes unless all tuition from last year is paid in full, a signed tuition contract has been returned for the 2017-2018 school year and your student has paid all fines due from 2016-2017 school year.
10-12 Grade Returning Student iPad Pick-Up – Friday, August 11th 11am – 1pm
Returning students will pick up their iPad and Lunch/Student ID card if e-registration is complete, their 2017-2018 Tuition Contract is signed and complete, and all past tuition is paid in full. Lunch money is encouraged to be deposited in your student’s account simply by sending in an envelope on this day marked with your student’s name. Parking Permits that have been paid for online through the new online payment system 8to18 can be picked up on this day (more information below).
Tuition and Fees
Parents can pay tuition and fees online by heading to www.XavierSaints.org/ParentPortal (or finding it under the “Parents” section of XavierSaints.org). Xavier is using 8to18.com to pay all fees and “Senior Systems” to pay tuition.
• Tuition – Xavier High School uses Senior Systems (My Backpack) for tuition contracts and payments. Tuition amounts have been posted on My Backpack for those who have completed the tuition contract process. This link can be accessed on the Parent Portal section of the Xavier website at www.XavierSaints.org/ParentPortal (this also is found under the “Parents” section of XavierSaints.org). The first tuition payment is due August 10. If the payment has not been paid as scheduled, it must be paid before the first day of school. Please understand that students will not be able to attend the first day of classes unless all tuition from last year is paid in full, a signed tuition contract has been returned for the 2017-2018 school year and your student has paid all fines due from 2016-2017 school year.
• 8to18 Online Payment System - Xavier has selected to use 8to18 as its vendor to process all fees online. This link can be accessed on the Parent Portal section of the Xavier website at www.XavierSaints.org/ParentPortal (this also is found under the “Parents” section of XavierSaints.org). ACADEMIC FEES: Please note that fees associated with academics (science goggles, art supplies, etc.) are NOT online at this time, but will be once those fees have been determined by instructors.
• Parking Permits – will be available to purchase ONLINE ONLY this year. Permits paid for online will then be available for students to pick up beginning at iPad Pick Up Day on Friday, August 11th from 11am-1pm. A $40.00 parking fee is REQUIRED of students to park in the Xavier High School parking lot. Cars without a parking hang tag will receive a fine and may be towed. Parents will fill out vehicle information in the E-Registration Google Doc, but please be reminded that permits must be purchased online through the 8to18.com online payment system.
Saints Shop Back-to-School Xtravaganza Sale – August 10 & 11
The Saints Shop will be open on Thursday, August 10, from 4-7 p.m. and Friday, August 11 from 11am-1pm for its annual “Back-to-School Sale” in the Xavier High School Commons. Browse through a variety of gear to show your Xavier pride as we get closer to another school year. Also available will be $5 used dress code/uniform items. Doors will open at 4 p.m. on Thursday and 11am on Friday. No early bird shopping.
New Student and Parent iPad Meeting – Monday, August 14 at 6:00pm
It is MANDATORY and required that all incoming freshmen and new students along with one parent attend the meeting, have e-registration complete, a 2017-2018 Tuition Contract signed and complete and all past tuition paid in full before receiving an iPad.
Freshman Orientation – Tuesday, August 22 – 8:30am-3pm – NO BUSING
Freshmen Orientation is required for all incoming freshmen. This day is a comprehensive introduction to Xavier. The experience includes a prayer service, welcome from faculty and staff, time with senior mentors, meeting teachers and attending classes, and setting up technology. The day will also include a picnic for freshmen students. Dress code is not enforced on orientation day. Registration begins at 8:30am with the orientation beginning at 9am.
Transfer Student Orientation – Tuesday, August 22 – 10-11:30am – NO BUSING
Transfer Orientation is required for all new students in grades 10-12th. The morning experience includes an introduction to Xavier. Students will learn about the policies and procedures of Xavier and tour the building and their classes.
First Day of Classes – Wednesday, August 23 – NO PM BUSING
Wednesday, August 23rd:
-REGULAR START TIME: 7:50 a.m.
-REGULAR DISMISSAL TIME: 2:45 p.m.
Daily and modified bell schedules can be found http://www.xaviersaints.org/downloads/
Xavier Health Clinic
• Dental Screening Form – All incoming freshmen and out of state transfer students must have the dental screening form completed by their dentist and returned to the Health Clinic. The form can be found: http://www.xaviersaints.org/downloads/
• Student Health Registration – You will complete your student’s health information, concerns, medications, and insurance during e-registration in PowerSchool. Additional forms that may be needed for the health clinic can be found at: http://www.xaviersaints.org/forms/
• New Meningococcal Vaccination requirement – The Iowa Department of Public Health has made changes to the Iowa Immunization Law for the start of the 2017-18 school year. The law reads as such…”The change requires ….2 doses of meningococcal (A, C, W, Y) vaccines for applicants in grade 12, if born after September 15, 1999 or 1 dose if received when applicants are 16 years of age or older.” All students entering 12th grade must have proof of having the required doses of Meningococcal vaccine before school starts in August, unless the student has a Certificate of Immunization Exemption. There will be no grace/extension period for the implementation of this requirement. This means by law a student will not be permitted to begin classes at Xavier on August 23 unless they have received the Meningococcal vaccine and have presented documentation to Xavier High School. Please contact your family physician to make sure your child is up to date and for a copy of the most recent record of immunizations.
Information that Pertains to All Families
• Student/Parent Handbook – Please review the handbook carefully. The handbook can be found at: http://www.xaviersaints.org/downloads/
• Xavier Dress Code for 2017-2018 – Please review the dress code carefully. For Fitness/Wellness Classes: Clothing should not be purchased until after students have met with the Fitness/Wellness teachers during the first week of school. The dress code can be found at: http://www.xaviersaints.org/admissions/dress-code/
• 2017-2018 School Calendar - The Xavier Calendar is online which will provide you with a calendar that is up to date each day. In order to access the calendar, go to Xavier website – www.xaviersaints.org, click on “Calendar.”
• School Supply List - Xavier High School students primarily use their iPads; therefore, we have no official school supply list. Minimal basic items your student may want: loose leaf paper, spiral notebooks, folders, #2 pencils, pens, highlighters, note cards, scientific calculator (not graphing) for Math classes.
• Annual Sports Participation Fee/Physical/Concussion Form – students who participate in a sport or cheerleading at Xavier must submit an annual $100 Athletic Participation Fee, current physical and concussion form to the Activities Office, prior to participation in any sport. Forms can be found at: http://www.xaviersaints.org/downloads/ under “Athletics.”
Xavier Lunch Program Information
• Free and Reduced Forms can be found online at: http://www.xaviersaints.org/downloads/
• Diet Modification Q & A and Request form can be found online at: http://www.xaviersaints.org/downloads/
• Lunch Cards/School ID’s will be given at the New Parent iPad Meeting or returning student iPad Pick Up.
• Lunch Payments – Please bring lunch money in an envelope marked with your students name at the New Parent iPad Meeting or on iPad Pick Up day for returning students. Payments made to the Xavier Food Service Program MUST be on a separate check.
• Online Lunch Payments – Go to the Parent Portal and click on EZSchoolPay at: www.XavierSaints.org/ParentPortal to sign on or register as a new user and follow the instructions.
• Breakfast/Lunch Prices
Lunch Price: Single Student: $2.55 (2nd Lunch: $3.20) | Single Adult: $3.55
Reduced Lunch Price: Single Student: $ .40
Breakfast Price: Single Student: $1.75 (2nd Breakfast: $2.20) | Single Adult: $2.35
Reduced Breakfast Price: Single Student: $ .30
Milk: Single Student: $ .60
• Xavier High School Lunch Account Policy - The policy of Xavier High School is to offer breakfasts and lunches to all students within the district. As a student’s account balance approaches a zero balance or becomes negative, the following procedures will apply.
- Students may charge any combination of meals up to a negative balance of $6.00.
- No snack or ala carte items may be charged.
- When the negative $6.00 charge limit is reached an alternate sandwich and milk will be served for lunch until charges are paid in full. This alternate lunch will not be charged to the student’s account.
- If a student with a negative balance attempts to purchase ala carte items with cash, the money must first be applied to the negative balance.
- Parents are notified of low balances via email starting at $10 and negative balance emails are sent via email once balance is $0 or below.
If you are interested in joining the Xavier Booster Club, you may pay online with 8to18.com or you may return the Booster Club membership form and a separate check for $50 made out to the Xavier Booster Club to the Xavier main office or mail it to the Booster Club at Xavier High School 6300 42nd St NE, Cedar Rapids IA 52411. The form can be found at: http://www.xaviersaints.org/downloads/
Saints Saver Card
This is a discounted athletic admission card sold through the activities office. Cards will be sold for $40 each and will entitle the bearer to ten admissions to Xavier athletic events. These cards will be sold beginning Tuesday, August 1st and throughout the school year in the Activities Office.
Parent Email Notifications
E-mail updates will include general calendar/high school news and activity related updates including but not limited to, Academics, Campus Ministry, Athletics, Activities, Archdiocese updates and Legislative Alerts. Email addresses used are exported from PowerSchool. An opt-out link is included at the bottom of every e-mail, and you are welcome to opt-out from e-mails at any time. Please note, if you remove yourself from the list, you will no longer receive ANY updates from Xavier High School. We are working diligently to streamline our communications to make them as applicable to the general Xavier High School audience as possible, but appreciate your understanding in knowing that not every e-mail may apply directly to you.
Alert Solutions 2 – Instant Parent Contact
Xavier High School uses a telephone broadcast system synced with PowerSchool that enables school personnel to notify all households and parents by phone, text and email within minutes of an emergency or unplanned event which warrants parent notification. This system will NOT be used for general announcements/reminders. This service is provided by Alert Solutions, a company specializing in school-to-parent communications. Xavier High School will continue to report school closings due to snow or weather on the local radio and TV stations and will use this system as an overlay to the public announcements. Parents will have the ability to choose messaging preferences in the Parent Portal in PowerSchool under Alert Solutions 2.
Other Upcoming Dates – Mark your calendars!
- Freshman/New Student Parent Meeting/iPad Pick Up – Monday, August 14 – 6pm (Mandatory see info above)
- Booster Club Bash – Thursday, August 17 – 5:30pm – All Parents Welcome!!!! (Adults only)
- Back to School Mass – Wednesday, August 23 – 7:50am – Ron Thillen Gymnasium – Parents Welcome!
- Sophomore Parent Meeting – Wednesday, August 23 – 7:00pm – Regis-LaSalle Theatre
- Student Picture Day – Thursday, August 24
- Junior/Senior Parent Meeting – Thursday, August 31 –7:00pm – Regis-LaSalle Theatre
- Back-to-School Night – Monday, September 11 – 7:00pm – Regis-LaSalle Theatre