Campus Ministry offers many programs to help foster the spiritual development of the Xavier community. This year’s activities include:
- Prayer to begin and end the school day
- Mass before school on Fridays at 7 a.m
- Eucharistic Adoration on Fridays
- Monthly All School Liturgy
- Advent and Lent Reconciliation services
- Liturgy Committee
- Liturgy Singers
- Lifesavers (Respect Life Committee)
- Community Service Day
- Spiritual Direction
- Teens Encounter Christ Retreats (TEC)
- Kairos Retreats
- Class Retreats
- Mission trip
- And much more!
Campus Ministry Mission Statement
Through worship, service, and Christian leadership, the Xavier Campus Ministry Department strives to assist each student to a deeper understanding of our Catholic faith and a personal encounter with Jesus Christ.
Xavier High School is a part of the tradition and mission of the Roman Catholic Church and the Archdiocese of Dubuque. As a part of that tradition we are committed to:
- Proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus in a Catholic faith filled environment that motivates each student, staff member, parent/guardian and supporter to share in that mission.
- Developing each person’s spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional, and physical gifts
- Respecting each individual person’s unique value and talents
- Building God’s kingdom through service to our community, nurturing family relationships, and modeling Christ in our everyday actions
- Creating an atmosphere of justice and trust through embracing the Gospel in our decisions and actions
- Fostering stewardship through personal commitment, responsibility, and accountability to one another and to our world
- Providing a learning atmosphere where creativity and innovation are honored and celebrated
The students on this committee plan and implement all Masses, Reconciliation services, Stations of the Cross, prayer services and all other spiritual events. They serve in all Liturgical roles including readers, servers, ushers, sacristans and Eucharistic Ministers.
The Liturgy Singers lead the student body and faculty in the songs and sung acclamations during the Liturgy. Students that play instruments are also part of this ensemble for music ministry.
The XHS Lifesavers group focuses on defending the basic rights of those who are weakest and most marginalized: the poor, the homeless, the innocent unborn, and the frail and elderly who need our respect and our assistance. Through educational events, charitable efforts, times of prayer, and opportunities for public witness, they bring attention to this important issue. Such initiatives are integral to supporting the Church’s ongoing effort to help build a culture in which every human life without exception is respected and defended.
- Respect Life Week activities include:
- 400 white crosses representing the 4,000 lives lost each day to abortion in the US
- Baby Shower for Birthright and Aid to Women
- Dress in Black Day as a witness to the lack of respect for life in today’s culture
- March for Life in Washington DC
Each year Campus Ministry students embark on a trip to an area where there is need, either because of poverty or a natural disaster, to assist with whatever is needed. The team begins and ends the day with prayer and spends the day working in the community.
During the school year Mass is held in the Chapel on Friday at 7 a.m.